Travis USD

Online Free and Reduced Application

Letter to Household (Use the scrollbar to view the entire letter) PRINT


Dear Parent/Guardian:

The Travis Unified School District takes part in the National School Lunch Program and/or School Breakfast Program by offering healthy meals every school day. Students may buy lunch for $3.25 and breakfast for $1.75. Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals. Eligible students may receive meals at the reduced-price rate of $0.00 for lunch and $0.00 for breakfast. You or your children do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.

This packet includes an Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals and a set of detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

    • All children in households receiving benefits from CalFresh, CalWORKs, FDPIR, or Kin-GAP are eligible for free meals.
    • Foster children under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
    • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
    • Children who meet the definition of homeless, migrant, or runaway are eligible for free meals.
    • Children may receive free or reduced-price meals if your household’s income is within the limits of the Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.
  1. HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILDREN QUALIFY AS homeless, MIGRANT, RUNAWAY, or Head Start? Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and have not been told your children will qualify for free meals, please contact Vincent Ruiz (707)437-4604 EXT 1215
  2. DO I NEED TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION FOR EACH CHILD? Use one Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals for all children in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to a : Child Nutrition Employee in the school Cafeteria or return it to Child Nutrition Department at 2751 De Ronde Drive Fairfield, Ca. 94533
  1. SHOULD I COMPLETE AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? No, but please read the letter you received carefully and follow any instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, please contact  Ana Martinez (707)437-4604 Ext.1217.
  1. CAN I APPLY ONLINE? Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Please go to www.heartlandapps.com to learn more about the online application process. Contact  Ana Martinez (707)437-4604 Ext.1217 or by email at ana.martinez@sodexo.com if you have any questions about the online application.

  2. MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE? Yes, if you want to participate in the meal program. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

  3. I RECEIVE WOMEN, INFANTS AND CHILDREN (WIC) BENEFITS. CAN MY CHILDREN RECEIVE FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please complete an application and return it for processing.

  4. WILL THE INFORMATION I PROVIDE BE CHECKED? YES. School officials may check the information on the application at any time during the school year. You may be asked to send information to prove your income, or current eligibility for CalFresh, CalWORKS, FDPIR, or Kin-GAP.

  5. IF I DO NOT QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER? Yes, you can apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may be eligible for free and reduced-price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

  6. WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOL'S DECISION REGARDING MY APPLICATION? You should talk to the school officials. You may also ask for a hearing by calling or writing to Vincent Ruiz (707)437-4604 EXT 1215
  7. MAY I APPLY IF SOMEONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN? You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced-price meals.

  8. WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME? List the amount that you normally For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, state on the application that you made $1,000 per month. If you normally receive overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only occasionally work overtime. If you have lost your job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

  9. WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT? Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a “0” in the income field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will be counted as zeros. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

  10. WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY? Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

  11. WHAT IF THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SPACE ON THE APPLICATION FOR MY FAMILY? List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Ana Martinez (707)437-4604 Ext.1217 to receive a second application.

  12. MY FAMILY NEEDS ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS WE CAN APPLY FOR? To find out how to apply for CalFresh or other assistance programs, contact your local assistance office or call 1-877-847-3663 (FOOD).

If you have other questions or need help, please call Ana Martinez (707)437-4604 Ext.1217


Sonia Lasyone

Chief Business Officer

707-437-4604 EXT. 1299


For Free and Reduced Price Meals

For School Year 2018-2019

Household size Yearly Monthly Weekly
1 $22,459 $1,872 $432
2 $30,451 $2,538 $586
3 $38,443 $3,204 $740
4 $46,435 $3,870 $893
5 $54,427 $4,536 $1,047
6 $62,419 $5,202 $1,201
7 $70,411 $5,868 $1,355
8 $78,403 $6,534 $1,508
For each additional person, add: + $7,992 + $666 + $154

The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number is not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We MAY share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint  and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.