Santa Barbara USD

Online Free and Reduced Application

Letter to Household (Use the scrollbar to view the entire letter) PRINT


Dear Parent/Guardian:

The Santa Barbara School District, Food Service Department participates in the National School Lunch Program and/or School Breakfast Program by offering healthy meals every school day. Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals by completing the Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals. Eligible students may receive meals at the reduced-price rate of .40¢ for lunch and NO CHARGE for breakfast. Students may buy lunch for Elementary $2.50 and Secondary $3.75, Montecito Union $5.00, breakfast for Elementary and Secondary AT NO CHARGE, only second breakfast $2.50, Montecito Union $2.50.
This packet includes an Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals and a set of detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

    • All children in households receiving benefits from CalFresh, CalWORKs, or FDPIR are eligible for free meals.
    • Foster children under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
    • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
    • Children who meet the definition of homeless, migrant, or runaway are eligible for free meals.
    • Children may receive free or reduced-price meals if your household’s income is within the limits of the federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.

      For July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018

      Household size Annual Monthly Twice per Month Every Two Weeks      Weekly
      1 $22,311 $1,860 $930 $859 $430
      2 $30,044 $2,504 $1,252 $1,156 $578
      3 $37,777 $3,149 $1,575 $1,453 $727
      4 $45,510 $3,793 $1,897 $1,751 $876
      5 $53,243 $4,437 $2,219 $2,048 $1,024
      6 $60,976 $5,082 $2,541 $2,346 $1,173
      7 $68,709 $5,726 $2,863 $2,643 $1,322
      8 $76,442 $6,371 $3,186 $2,941 $1,471
      Each additional person: +$7,733 +$645 +$323 +$298 +$149

    Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and have not been told your children will qualify for free meals, please call or email .Carrie Anderson, (805) 963-4338 ext. 6262, carrieanderson@sbunified.org.

    No. Complete one Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals for all students in your household. We cannot approve an Application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed Application to: Santa Barbara Unified School District, Food Service Office, 720 Santa Barbara St., Santa Barbara, CA 93103. You can also return it to your child’s school after August 1, 2017.

  4. SHOULD I COMPLETE AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? No, but please read the letter carefully and follow any instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, please contact Gina Cuevas in Food Service Department (805) 963-4338 ext. 6279 immediately.

  5. MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE? Yes, if you want to participate in the meal program. Your child’s Application is only good for one school year at a time and for the first few days of the following school year. You must send in a new Application by September 30, 2017 unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. If you do not send in a new Application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price for meals.

  6. I RECEIVE WOMEN, INFANTS AND CHILDREN (WIC) BENEFITS. CAN MY CHILDREN RECEIVE FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please complete an Application.

  7. WILL THE INFORMATION I PROVIDE BE CHECKED? Yes. School officials may verify the information on the Application at any time during the school year. You may be asked to send additional information to prove your income, or current eligibility for CalFresh, CalWORKS, or FDPIR.

  8. IF I DO NOT QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER? Yes, you can apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may be eligible for free and reduced-price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

  9. WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOL’S DECISION REGARDING MY APPLICATION? You should talk to the school officials. You may also ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Dr. David E. Cash, Superintendent, 720 Santa Barbara St., Santa Barbara, CA 93101, (805) 963-4338 ext. 6279, and/or gcuevas@sbunified.org

  10. MAY I APPLY IF SOMEONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN? Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced-price meals.

  11. WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, enter on the Application that you made $1,000 per month. If you normally receive overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only occasionally work overtime. If you have lost your job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

  12. WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT? All household members must be included on the Application even if the individual does not receive income. Whenever this happens, please write a “0” in the income field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, the income will be counted as zero. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

  13. WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY? Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

  14. WHAT IF THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SPACE ON THE APPLICATION FOR MY FAMILY? List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Food Service Department, Gina Cuevas, (805) 963-4338 ext. 6279, gcuevas@sbunified.org to receive a second application.

  15. MY FAMILY NEEDS ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS WE CAN APPLY FOR? Yes. For information on CalFresh and CalWORKs, contact your county welfare department by reviewing the CalFresh Web page at http://www.calfresh.ca.gov/PG839.htm or by phone at 877-847-3663. For additional assistance in your local area, contact the California referral hotline by phone at 211.


If you have other questions or need help, please contact Gina Cuevas at (805) 963-4338 ext. 6279.


Nancy Weiss, Director of Food Service

The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced-price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number are not required when you list a CalFresh, California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kid (CalWORKs), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced-price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. 

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. 

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at the Filing a Program Discrimination Complaint as a USDA Customer page , and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: 

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture 
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 
1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; 

(2) fax: 202-690-7442; or 

(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov. 

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.