Lompoc USD

Online Free and Reduced Application

Letter to Household (Use the scrollbar to view the entire letter) PRINT

1301 North “A” Street, Post Office Box 8000, Lompoc, CA 93438-8000    
(805) 742-3353 FAX (805) 742-3346

 2017-2018 Free & Reduced Price Meal Application Instructions


Dear Parent/Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn. Lompoc Unified School District participates in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program by offering healthy meals every school day. Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals by completing this application. This packet includes an application for free or reduced price meal benefits, and a set of detailed instructions. If you have questions regarding your application, please call (805) 742-3353. Para recibir ayuda en Español, por favor llame al (805) 742-3339.


How much do meals cost? Meal prices have changed to comply with USDA requirements.  You are responsible for the cost of all meals received by your children until you have received a letter stating that they qualify for free meals.  Applications can take up to 10 days to process.  If you have not received a letter after 10 days, please contact Child Nutrition Services at (805)742-3353.

Who can get free or reduced price meals? All children in households receiving benefits from CalFresh, CalWORKS, or FDPIR are eligible for free meals. All children in households receiving benefits from Medi-Cal are eligible for either free or reduced-priced meals.  Foster Children that are the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrants are eligible for free meals.  Children whose household income is below the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines may receive free or reduced price.

For School Year 2017-2018

Household size Yearly Monthly Weekly
1 $22,311 $1,860 $430
2 $30,044 $2,504 $578
3 $37,777 $3,149 $727
4 $45,510 $3,793 $876
5 $53,243 $4,437 $1,024
6 $60,976 $5,082 $1,173
7 $68,709 $5,726 $1,322
8 $76,442 $6,371 $1,471
For each additional family member, add: $7,733 $645 $149


2017 – 2018    School Meal Prices




Breakfast       Lunch

Full Pay

Breakfast    Lunch


Elementary School

No Charge





Middle School

No Charge





High School

No Charge





Breakfast is free for all students at Hapgood and LVMS


Should I fill out an application even if my children bring lunch from home?  Yes, if you believe they will qualify for free or reduced price meals. Students who qualify for free and reduced meals generate additional funds for our schools even if they do not participate in the school meal program.

Do I need to complete an application for each child?  No. Please fill out ONE application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Applications can be submitted online or paper applications can be returned to your child’s school or the LUSD District Office at 1301 North A Street, Lompoc CA 93436

Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals?  No, but please read the letter carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were not included in the letter, please contact Child Nutrition Services at (805) 742-3353 immediately.

Can I apply online? Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application is available at www.LUSD.org and has the same requirements as the paper application. If you have any questions about the online application, please call (805) 742-3353.

My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one? Yes. Your child’s application is good for that school year and the first few days of this school year (through Sept 26, 2017). You must send in an application unless you received a letter this year saying that your child is eligible. If you do not send in an approved application and have not been notified that your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, your child will be charged full price for meals. The school will not send a reminder or notice of expired eligibility.

I receive Women, Infants & Children (WIC) benefits. Can my children receive free meals?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please complete an application.

Will the information I give be checked? Yes. We may also ask you to prove your household income or eligibility for CalFresh, CalWORKS, FDPIR or Medi-Cal.


2017-2018 Free & Reduced Price Meal Application Instructions

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later if something changes? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your income goes down, you become unemployed, or your family size increases.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? Please contact Child Nutrition Services at (805) 742-3353. You also may ask for a hearing by contacting the Assistant Superintendent, Business Services at PO Box 8000, Lompoc, CA 93438-8000 or calling (805) 742-3199.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals. 

What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally earn. For example, if you missed some work last month, put down the amount that you normally earn. Include overtime if you normally receive it. Do not include overtime if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

What if some household members have no income? If a household member does not receive some types of income asked for on the application, or receives no income at all, please write “0”. If any income fields are left empty or blank, they will be counted as zeroes.

We are in the military. Do we report our income differently?

The following are reported as income:

·         Basic Pay

·         Cash bonuses

·         Allowances for food, clothing and off-base housing

The following are not reported as income:

·         Privatized on-base housing allowances

·         Combat pay

·         Deployment Extension Incentive Pay

·         Family Subsistence Supplemental

·         Agent Orange Compensation

How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant or runaway? If any of these apply to your family, then you would qualify for free meals: lack a permanent address; are staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement; relocates on a seasonal basis; or the children living in your household are without their parent(s)/guardian(s).  If household meets any of these descriptions and you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call Homeless Liason at (805) 742-3980.

What if there is not enough space on the application for my family? List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application.

My family needs additional financial assistance.  Are there other programs we can apply for? Yes. For information on Cal-Fresh and CalWORKS, contact your county welfare department at http://www.calfresh.ca.gov/PG839.htm or by phone at (877) 847-3663.  For additional assistance, call the California referral hotline by telephone at 211.

California Education Code Section 49557(a): “Applications for free and reduced-price meals may be submitted at any time during a school day. Children participating in the National School Lunch Program will not be overtly identified by the use of special tokens, special tickets, special serving lines, separate entrances, separate dining areas, or by any other means.”

The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You are not required to provide the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals. If you are submitting an income-based application, you must include the last four digits of the Social Security Number (SSN) of the adult household member who signs the application. The last 4 digits of the SSN are not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child; list a CalFresh, CalWORKS, or FDPIR case number or your child; or indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a SSN. We will use your household size and income information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration of the lunch and breakfast programs.  This Institution is an equal opportunity provider.  We may share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules.

Non-discrimination Statement:  In accordance with federal civil rights and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through USDA through the Federal Relay service at 800-877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be available in languages other than English. 

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027) found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html and at any USDA office, or write a letter addresses to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.  To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. 

Submit your form or letter to USDA by: 

1) mail: U.S. Department of agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410
2) fax: (202) 690-7442
3) email: program.intake@usda.gov