Ennis ISD

Online Free and Reduced Application

Letter to Household (Use the scrollbar to view the entire letter) PRINT

Ennis Independent School District

Dear Parent/Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn. Ennis Independent School District offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast cost $0.00; luch cost PK-6th $2.25 and 7th-12th $2.50. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced-price meals. An application is attached. The following questions and answers will provide informaiton about the Free and Reduce-Price Meal Program.

1.Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
No. Complete one Free and Reduced-Price School Meals Application to apply for free or reduced-price meals for all children in the household. We cannot approve an incomplete application, so be sure to fill out all required information.

2.Who can get free meals?
Income-Your children can get free or reduced-price meals if your household's gross income (total, without deductions) is within the limits described on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
Special Program Participants-All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), can get free meals regardless of income. Children who attend Head Start, Early Head Start, and Even Start are also eligible for free meals.
Foster-Foster children under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. A foster child is eligible for free meals regardless of the income of his or her resident household.
Homeless, Runaway, and Migrant-Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven't been told about a child's status as homeless, runaway, or migrant, please call or email Carrie Haskovec 972-872-7006.

3. Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals?
Carefully read the letter you received and follow the instructions.Call Carrie Haskovec 972-872-7006 or Child Nutrition Services 972-872-7030 if you have questions.

4. My child's application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one?
Yes. Your child's application is only good for one school year and the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for this school year.

5. I get WIC, can my child(ren) get free meals?
Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.

6. What if my income is not always the same?
List the amount that you normally receive. Even if you missed some work in the last month, put down your usual pay. If you normally get overtime pay, include it. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

7. We are in the military.
Do we include our housing allowance as income?

If you get an off?base housing allowance, it must be included as income. If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.
Is combat pay counted as income?
No, if combat pay is received because of deployment in addition to basic pay and was not received before deployment, combat pay is not counted as income.

8. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.

9. Will the information I give be checked?
Yes, and we may also ask you to send written proof.

10. If I don't qualify now, may I apply later?
Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year. If your household income or circumstances change, you may become eligible for free or reduced-price meals.

11. Who should I include as members of my household?
You must include yourself as well as others living with you who share income and expenses-related to you or not (grandparents, other relatives, or friends. Do not include others who live with you who are economically independent-that is anyone you do not support, does not share income with you, and does pay a pro?rated share of expenses.

12. What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application?
You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to James Sanders 972-872-7023.

13. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for other assistance benefits,contact your local assistance office or 2-1-1.

If you have other questions or need help, call: call Carrie Haskovec 972-872-7006 or Child Nutrition Services 972-872-7030.
Si necesita ayuda, por favor llame al teléfono: call Carrie Haskovec 972-872-7006 or Child Nutrition Services 972-872-7030.


Carrie Haskovec
Ennis Independent School District
Child Nutrition Director 

For School Year 2017-2018

Household size Yearly Monthly Weekly
1 $22,311 $1,860 $430
2 $30,044 $2,504 $578
3 $37,777 $3,149 $727
4 $45,510 $3,793 $876
5 $53,243 $4,437 $1,024
6 $60,976 $5,082 $1,173
7 $68,709 $5,726 $1,322
8 $76,442 $6,371 $1,471
For each additional family member, add: $7,733 $645 $149


The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number is not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We MAY share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.