Bakersfield City Schools

Online Free and Reduced Application

Letter to Household (Use the scrollbar to view the entire letter) PRINT

Bakersfield City School District


Dear Parent or Guardian:


Children need healthy meals to learn. Bakersfield City School District offers healthy meals every school day and participates in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Elementary students may buy lunch for $1.65 and junior high student’s $1.70, breakfast is non-pricing (free). Eligible students may receive meals at a reduced price or no cost.


  • If you now receive benefits from CalFresh, California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs), Kinship Guardianship Assistance Payments (Kin-GAP), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), your child may receive free meals.


  • If your total household income is the same or less than the amounts on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines scale listed on the attached Instructions for Applying for Meal Benefits, your child may receive meals free or at a reduced price. Household means a group of related, or non-related individuals who are living as one economic unit and sharing living expenses. Living expenses include rent, clothes, food, doctor bills, and utility bills. If you live with other people who are economically independent (i.e. people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them. An application must be completed with all household members and incomes listed, for a child who is living with relatives or friends, whether or not the child is a ward of the court.


  • A foster care child who is the legal responsibility of the welfare agency or ward of the court is eligible to receive free meals regardless of your income. This eligibility is not extended to non-foster children in the household.




  • Complete and sign the attached Application for Free and Reduced Price Meals, and return it to the Nutrition Services office or your school cafeteria as soon as possible.


  • You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved or denied for free or reduced price meals. An application cannot be processed and may be returned if it contains incomplete eligibility information. A new application must be completed every school year.


  • You may apply for benefits at any time during the school year. If you are not eligible now, but your income goes down, you lose your job, your family size becomes larger, or you become eligible for CalFresh, CalWORKs, Kin-GAP, or FDPIR benefits, you may submit an application at that time.


FOOD DISTRIBUTION PROGRAM ON INDIAN RESERVATIONS (FDPIR): Households participating in the FDPIR are categorically eligible for free meals and milk. The FDPIR is authorized by Section 4(b) of the Food Stamp Act of 1977. Under this section, eligible households may elect to participate in either the Food Stamp program or the FDPIR. Since households are afforded the option to participate in either program, FDPIR households have been determined to receive the same categorical benefits as food stamp households.

WIC PARTICIPANTS: If you currently receive benefits under the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (better known as the WIC Program) your child may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. You are encouraged to complete an application and return it to the school for processing.

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: The application must have the last four digits of the social security number of the adult who signs it. The application cannot be processed without the last four digits of the social security number listed. If the adult does not have a social security number, check the designated box. If a CalFresh, CalWORKs, Kin-GAP, or FDPIR case number for the child or other household member is listed, or if the application is for a foster child, a social security number is not required.

VERIFICATION: Nutrition Service officials may check the information on the application at any time during the school year. You may be asked to send information to prove your income, or current eligibility for CalFresh, CalWORKs,   Kin-GAP, or FDPIR benefits.

MEALS FOR DISABLED: If you believe your child needs a food substitute or texture modification because of a disability, please contact the school. A child with a disability is entitled to a special meal at no extra charge if the disability prevents the child from eating the regular school meal.

NONDISCRIMINATION: Children who receive free or reduced price meals must not be identified as such and must be treated in the same manner as those children who pay full price for their meals.

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information you provide on the application to Nutrition Services will remain confidential and will not be shared for any purpose. The information will only be used to determine your child(ren)’s eligibility to receive free or reduced price meals and to verify this eligibility.

FAIR HEARING: If you do not agree with Nutrition Services decision regarding your application or the result of verification, you may discuss it with Nutrition Services. You also have the right to a fair hearing. A fair hearing may be requested by calling or writing the following official – Brenda Robinson, Nutrition Services Director at:

     Nutrition Services Department

     1300 Baker Street

     Bakersfield, CA, 93305     (661) 631-4837 (English) or

     (661) 631-4737 Spanish, 7:30 am-4:30 pm.

If you have any questions or need assistance in completing the application, please contact the Nutrition Services Department (see contact information listed above).


Brenda Robinson

Nutrition Services Director

For School Year 2017-2018

Household size Yearly Monthly Weekly
1 $22,311 $1,860 $430
2 $30,044 $2,504 $578
3 $37,777 $3,149 $727
4 $45,510 $3,793 $876
5 $53,243 $4,437 $1,024
6 $60,976 $5,082 $1,173
7 $68,709 $5,726 $1,322
8 $76,442 $6,371 $1,471
For each additional family member, add: $7,733 $645 $149


The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number is not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We MAY share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.